All prospective students wishing to pursue a B.A. in Studio Art or B.A. in Studio Art/Art Ed must submit a portfolio for entrance into the program. This portfolio review applies to all new students and external transfers. The review has no bearing on Admission's decision as they have their own criteria for acceptance. Pending a positive Admissions decision, the portfolio review determines if the applicant is eligible to enter as a Studio Art or Studio Art/Art Ed major.
The department has three scholarships awards for incoming freshmen. Applicants who have been accepted by Admissions as full-time incoming freshman Studio Art majors are automatically considered.
It should be noted that students may submit portfolios to enter the BFA program after they begin their studies at UNH, as early as their first semester. Portfolio reviews for the BFA program are held each semester.
Deadlines: February 1 for incoming freshmen (Extended to March 1)
October 15 for spring semester transfer students (extended to November 15 for Spring 17 applicants)
April 1 for fall semester transfer students
The portfolio should reflect your strongest work; i.e. if painting is your strongest area, then paintings should be more than half of your portfolio.
• Be selective
• Show some personal work that reflects your artistic vision
• Choose work from any or a few of the following disciplines: ceramics, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, woodworking
Submit 10 to 12 samples of your best work. At least five of the pieces must be drawings from direct observation even if your discipline is not in drawing.
Portfolio Review Options:
Option 1: On-campu Review - Saturday, January 28, 2017. Call 603-862-2190 to reserve a reveiw time.
Option 2: On-line Submission - November 1 - February 1 (extended to March 1)
1. Portfolio images should be sent as individual attachments in one email to: email@example.com. Please do not put the images in the body of the email; please do not use Google Drive.
2. Individual images should be no more than 1MB-2MB in .jpeg format; 10-12 images for a maximum total of 24MB in the email attachment.
3. The body of the email should include your name and address (street, city, state, zip code) as written on your Common Application, name of your high school (or college if a transfer student). Please also tell us how you heard about our department (guidance counselor, internet search, friend, art teacher, etc.)
After the Faculty Review of your submitted portfolio, you will receive a letter informing you of the result of your portfolio review and a copy will be sent to Admissons.