Declaring a Major
Students entering the University as first-year or transfer students may declare any of our majors as part of the Admissions process.
If you are a continuing student within the College of Liberal Arts (COLA) interested in declaring one of the majors in the English Department, you may do so via Blackboard at any time provided you meet the pre-requisites for entering the department.
Requirements for Declaring an English Department Major
- Students must have Sophomore standing or higher in order to declare one of the following majors: English, English Literature, English/Journalism, and English Teaching.
- To declare English, English Literature, or English Teaching, you should have completed ENGL 419 'Introduction to Critical Analysis' with a grade of 'C' or better, OR you must be enrolled in ENGL 419 at the time of declaration.
- To declare English/Journalism you must have completed ENGL 534 '21st Century Journalism: How the News Works'.
A faculty advisor within the English Department will be assigned to you upon entry to the major of your choice.
Please contact the main office and set up an advising meeting with Academic Coordinator Carla Cannizzaro when your major declaration request has been approved. She will review the basic requirements of the major and answer any questions you have about completing your degree at UNH. Call 862-1313 to set up a meeting with Ms. Cannizzaro or stop by Hamilton Smith Hall, Room 113 during office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Students interested in declaring a Linguistics major may do so at any time during the semester by contacting Prof. Rochelle Lieber.
Change of Program Process
If you are currently in a major or undeclared within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Sign in to MyUNHblackboard
- Select Webcat/Services and continue to Webcat
- Select Student Services & Financial Aid
- Select Student Records
- Select Change Major/Option and follow prompts
If you are currently in a major NOT within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Obtain a paper yellow change of program form from the Registrar's Office or download one here.
- Meet with your advisor, and obtain signature and your student academic file.
- Go to your current Dean’s Office, obtain signature.
- Bring your signed form and file to our office where we will instruct you on next steps.