Declaring a Major
Students entering the University as first-year or transfer students may declare any of our majors as part of the Admissions process.
If you are a continuing student interested in declaring one of the majors in the English Department, you may do so during one week each term, usually the fourth week of the semester. Please check with the University Advising and Career Center (Hood House) or the Department of English main office (Ham Smith 113) for declaration week dates in the semester you wish to declare.
Requirements for Declaring an English Department Major
- Students must have sophomore standing or higher in order to declare one of the following majors: English, English Literature, English/Journalism, and English Teaching.
- To declare English, English Literature, or English Teaching, you should have completed ENGL 419 'Introduction to Critical Analysis' with a grade of 'C' or better, OR you must be enrolled in ENGL 419 at the time of declaration.
- To declare English/Journalism you must have completed ENGL 534 '21st Century Journalism: How the News Works' with a grade of 'B' or better.
A mandatory orientation for all new English majors follows in the fifth week of the semester. Visit the English Department in HS 113 to register for this orientation. Call 862-1313 with any questions or stop by Ham Smith 113 during office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Students interested in declaring a Linguistics major may do so at any time during the semester by contacting Prof. Rochelle Lieber.
Change of Program Process
If you are currently in a major or undeclared within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Sign in to MyUNHblackboard
- Select Webcat/Services and continue to Webcat
- Select Student Services & Financial Aid
- Select Student Records
- Select Change Major/Option and follow prompts
If you are currently in a major NOT within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Obtain a paper yellow change of program form from the Registrar's Office or download one here.
- Meet with your advisor, and obtain signature and your student academic file.
- Go to your current Dean’s Office, obtain signature.
- Bring your signed form and file to our office where we will instruct you on next steps.