Italy: UNH-in-Italy Program:Medical Care
For routine healthcare needs, the UNH-in-Italy Resident Director can help you arrange a doctor's appointment. In case of a medical emergency contact the Director and Program Assistant immediately. They are available to accompany you to medical facilities whenever necessary.
Pharmacies take turns being open on Sundays and during the night. You can find out which ones are open in the Sunday newspaper or by telephoning 192. The information is also posted outside each pharmacy.
Procedures for Medical Problems and Emergencies
Your international health insurance and travel assistance program includes access to the services of International SOS. One phone call connects you to the International SOS Network of multi-lingual staff trained to help resolve a range of health and safety issues, from offering telephone advice and referrals to full-scale medical evacuations by private air ambulance. International SOS works in partnership with your insurance provider and can pre-pay for most services on your behalf. While these services are comprehensive, remember that while in Ascoli Piceno, the UNH-in-Italy Program staff are your most effective means of support for health needs.
If you have a medical problem or emergency, we urge you to please follow these guidelines:
- Call the Director, Professor Muscelli immediately. He will help you organize your care.
- If you require emergency assistance, you may call 118 (Guardia Medica) for an ambulance or you may take a taxi to the Emergency Room (Pronto Soccorso) at Ospedale Mazzoni, which is in the Monticelli quarter of Ascoli Piceno. If you pay cash at the emergency room, ask for a receipt (ricevuta) for your insurance company. You can call a taxi at 330.214500.
- If your problem does not require emergency room attention, there is a general practitioner who has agreed to see UNH students. She can also refer you to specialists, if this is needed. Her phone number will be provided during the orientation week. Please note that while the Doctor does speak English, it is important for you to speak slowly and clearly. In the event that you purchase medicines, your insurance company will want a receipt for those as well.
- Italy: UNH-in-Italy Program
- About Ascoli Piceno
- Why UNH-in-Italy?
- Courses & Dates Fall 2017
- Courses & Dates Summer 2017
- Housing, Meals, and Inclusions
- Costs, Financial Aid, and Scholarships
- Eligibility and How to Apply
- Code of Conduct
- Photo Gallery