Declaring a Major
Students entering the University as first-year or transfer students may declare any of our majors as part of the Admissions process.
If you are a continuing student within the College of Liberal Arts (COLA) interested in declaring one of the majors in the English Department, you may do so via webcat on myUNH portal at any time provided you meet the pre-requisites for entering the department.
Requirements for Declaring an English Department Major
- Students may declare one of the following majors: English, English Literature, English/Journalism, or English Teaching.
- To declare English, English Literature, or English Teaching, you should have completed ENGL 419 'Introduction to Critical Analysis' with a grade of 'C' or better, OR you must be enrolled in ENGL 419 at the time of declaration.
- To declare English/Journalism you must have completed ENGL 534 '21st Century Journalism: How the News Works'.
A faculty advisor within the English Department will be assigned to you upon entry to the major of your choice.
Please contact the main office and set up an advising meeting with Academic Coordinator Carla Cannizzaro when your major declaration request has been approved. She will review the basic requirements of the major and answer any questions you have about completing your degree at UNH. Call 862-1313 to set up a meeting with Ms. Cannizzaro or stop by Conant Hall, Room 113 during office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Students interested in declaring a Linguistics major may do so at any time during the semester by contacting Prof. Rochelle Lieber.
How to Find Your Assigned Academic Advisor
**Note: New English Majors who have completed the Blackboard declaration process will not be assigned their advisor until 1-2 weeks prior to the start of the next semester. Please contact the main English office if you require immediate assistance: (603) 862-1313.
Access your Advisor’s Name
1. Go to webcat on myUNH portal and login.
(Make sure you are in the UNH tab)
2. Select WEBCAT/Services Tab; click Continue button.
3. Select Student Services & Financial Aid
4. Select Student Records
5. Select View Major and Advisor
6. Select current term
Find Your Advisor's Contact Information
1. Go back to myUNH portal
2. Search for Faculty/Staff Directory
3. Type in your advisor’s name
→English Department Majors may request a specific faculty adivisor within the English Department at any time. Please visit the main English office and speak to our office staff about your request.
Change of Program Process
Use this process in the following situations: declaring or changing a major within a college, declaring a major in or changing a major to a different college, adding a dual major, adding a second major:
- Sign in to my.unh.edu
- Search for Webcat and select
- Select Student Records
- Select Change Major/Option and follow prompts
Use this process in the following situations: declaring a dual degree, declaring or changing to a self-designed major, declaring a third major:
- Obtain a paper yellow change of program form from the Registrar's Office or download one here.
- Meet with your advisor, and obtain signature and your student academic file.
- Go to your current Dean’s Office, obtain signature.
- Bring your signed form and file to our office where we will instruct you on next steps.