- Tales of a Sky-Blue Dress
- Slave Moth: A Narrative in Verse
- Last Chance for the Tarzan Holler,
- Small Congregations. New and Selected Poems
- Rainbow Remnants in Rock Bottom Ghetto Sky
- At Redbones
- Pyramid of Bone
- Hosiery Seams on a Bowlegged Woman
She is also the author of two plays: Talking to Myself and The Dolls in the Basement.
Among her honors are a MacArthur Fellowship, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Dewar's Profiles Performance Award, a Witter Bynner Award for Poetry, and a Whiting Award. She is a professor of English at the University of Michigan.