The New Hampshire Literacy Institutes:Courses & Descriptions
ENGL 911-01 (4.0 credits)
The Same Coin: Experiments with Form, Structure and Freedom in the Poetry Classroom
- Daily writing workshop
- Conferences with instructor
- Peer response to writing
- Study and practice of various forms
- Evaluation of poems
ENGL 922-01 (4.0 credits)
Reading to Write
ENGL 922-02 (4.0 credits)
Listening Beyond the Text: Trusting the uncertainty, ambiguity, and unknown of the elusive conference
ENGL 920-01 (2.0 credits)
Get a (READING) Life: Teaching children to become readers is more than print, fluency, and comprehension
ENGL 911-02 (4.0 credits)
ENGL 920-02 (2.0 credits)
The Journey is Everything: Teachers as Essayists
- Read stunning published essays to notice their organic shapes and craft features
- Write to think in notebooks (please bring a writers notebook!)
- Choose a subject or an idea for an essay and write to think some more
- Create a flash draft
- Talks with peers about our writing process
- Leave with a short essay to share with students
ENGL 920-03 (2.0 credits)
The Classroom Speaks: Transforming the early childhood classroom into a laboratory for learning literacy
ENGL 920-04 (2.0 credits)
Who’s Doing the Work? How to say less so students can do more
- What is the “end” goal for our literacy instruction?
- How can better understanding students’ reading processes help us help students increase their independence and proficiency?
- What role does read aloud play in a student’s reading development? How do we leverage this instructional context to help students reap the benefits?
- What exactly is shared reading? How does it look different in primary and intermediate grades? What role does shared reading play in a student’s reading development?
- How does guided reading support student’s reading development?
- When students read independently, what are teachers doing? What can reading conferences sound like and how can they help inform instruction while simultaneously nurturing a love of reading?
ENGL 922-03 (2.0 credits)
Reading Between the Lines: Teaching Media Literacy