Spanish Major - Bachelor of Arts:Honors in Major
Students who may or may not be in the University Honors Program, but who meet the requirements for honors work in major, are entitled to graduate with Honors in Selected Major on their diploma and academic record. If you pursue this option, you must take at least 16 credits of Honors work in your major.
Spanish majors who have entered the University in the fall of 2008 and in subsequent years and have achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.4 may elect to graduate with honors. Students enrolled prior to the fall of 2008 need a minimum GPA of 3.2. This can be accomplished by doing honors work in any combination of three courses listed below, plus a Senior Honors thesis (Spanish 799). Honors students are expected to do extra readings, attend tutorial meetings and complete at least one additional paper or project in the courses designated as “Honors.” Honors students must maintain an overall minimum GPA of 3.4 and 3.4 in the course work for the major.
Courses for Honors in the Spanish Major (16 credits)
Students will complete a total of three Spanish courses using any combination listed below:
- Any two 600 level courses* and one 700 level course*
- One 600 level course* and two 700 level courses*
- Three 700 level courses*
- an Honors Thesis
*These courses must be designated as Honors courses, using the Honors Designation Form, during the first three weeks of registration*
Note: Courses in the 600 level category may be taken in Spain in the UNH Study Abroad Program in Granada with prior approval and supervision by a member of the UNH Spanish faculty. All arrangements must be made with the supervising professor before departure for Granada.
Spanish 799: Seniors Honors (4 cr.)
In addition to the three 700 courses required to complete the major, Honors students must write a Senior Thesis (Spanish 799). In this course, which is the last taken among the Honors courses, the student will undertake a research project supervised by a Professor in the Spanish Program. The topic of the Senior Honors Thesis will be chosen by the student under the guidance of a Professor familiar with the subject. The work includes the following phases: proposal development, bibliographical search preparation, critique of drafts, and submission of a written thesis. The student will finally make an oral presentation of the project to faculty and students in the department.
- Eligible students who are interested in doing Honors in Spanish should talk to their advisor to receive information about the program and complete the application form.
- During pre-registration time, the student should meet with the professor with whom he/she will take the Honors course to fill out the “Honors in Spanish Proposal Form.” A copy of the completed form must be given to the coordinator of Honors in the Major, who will keep it in the student’s folder. The student will register for SPAN 799 with a signature from their Honors advisor.
- The proposal for Spanish 799 must be completed and submitted to the coordinator of the Spanish Honors Program before the end of the semester prior to that in which the work will be done. It is the student’s responsibility to make all arrangements with the professor who will supervise the project. The initial contact with the supervising professor to discuss the project and obtain approval should be made well before pre-registration.