How to Apply


Supporting materials should be sent to the Graduate School at:

UNH Graduate School 
Thompson Hall 
105 Main Street 
Durham, NH 03824

Collect and submit all additional supporting materials in one packet and send to the Graduate School, not to the Music Program.

Admission Requirements

For each option, a bachelor's degree in music or its equivalent from an accredited institution is required for admission. Graduate Record Exams are not required. Additional requirements for all applicants include:

  • An entrance exam in music theory. The exam will be sent to you upon completion of your on-line application with the graduate school. You are required to arrange for an instructor at your current institution or similarly qualified person to proctor the exam for you. Please contact the Department of Music graduate coordinator for details.
  • A placement examination covering aural skills and music history will be administered to incoming students prior to registration. Any deficiencies in aural skills or music history must be remediated by the end of the second semester in order to remain in the program.
  • A sample of academic writing, preferably on a musical subject, should be submitted to the Department of Music graduate coordinator, either electronically (pdf file via email) or in hard copy. This might be a paper that has been submitted for a course.

Other admission requirements specific to the three degree areas include:


Applicants should submit a portfolio of compositions and arrange for an interview with Professor Christopher Kies or Professor Michael Annicchiarico


Applicants must perform a live conducting audition with one of the university ensembles. Please contact the Director of Bands or Director of Choral Activities for details and to schedule an audition


A reading knowledge of both German and French is strongly recommended for candidates who intend to continue on for a Ph.D. in musicology


See the Education Department's M.A.T. webpage.


  • February 15 for financial assistance
  • July 1 for fall session (April 1 recommended for fall session)
  • December 1 for spring session
  • April 1 for summer session