Music: Secondary Education (M.A.T.)

Music: Secondary Education (M.A.T.)

Education students smiling and having fun in class

The Master of Arts in Teaching degree program is offered through the Department of Education at UNH and leads to both teacher certification and a masters degree. Candidates should refer to The Schoolhouse Book, a publication of the Department of Education.

See the Education Department's M.A.T. webpage.

Why get an M.A.T. in secondary education?

With a Master of Arts in Teaching in secondary education, gain the knowledge, experience and skills to teach in today’s classrooms and communities. Subject matter, research, theory and field-based experience will help you teach with confidence. Learn to foster caring, cooperation and improvement with internships available in culturally, linguistically and socioeconomically diverse urban and rural schools. The M.A.T. leads to certification for teaching in secondary schools with concentration in areas such as English, math, science, social studies, foreign language, music and the arts. Our teacher education program prepares teacher-leaders excellent practitioners who work toward improving education in and beyond the classroom.

Why choose UNH for your secondary education degree?

At UNH, you’ll be able to enter the secondary education program at the graduate level or as part of the accelerated master’s program, through which you begin preparation at the undergraduate level with a semester of field experience and professional coursework in education. After completion of your baccalaureate degree, you’ll move into a fifth year of study and full-year internship, leading to the M.A.T. degree and licensure for teaching. Issues related to the challenges and rewards of serving in diverse schools are woven into the teacher preparation program, with unique opportunities through UNH Manchester and the Teacher Residency for Rural Education program. 

Potential career areas

  • Secondary school teaching


Department of Music
Paul Creative Arts Center
30 Academic Way
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH  03824

Phone: (603) 862-2404
Fax: (603) 862-3155

Curriculum & Requirements

The Secondary Education program provides certification and an M.A.T. degree for those who wish to teach in secondary schools.

What is the difference between an M.Ed. and the M.A.T in Secondary Education? The M.A.T. requires that at least three graduate-level courses be in an area of subject matter concentration rather than in education.  The basic program to achieve these ends is the five-year program in which students begin preparation for teaching at the undergraduate level with a semester of field experience and professional course work in education. Students complete a baccalaureate degree outside of education and move into a fifth year of study and full-year internship which lead to either the M.Ed. or M.A.T. degree and licensure for teaching. Students who have already completed a baccalaureate degree may also enter the teacher preparation program at the graduate level. With no prior course work in education, these programs will normally require two years to achieve licensure and a degree.

Admission Criteria

In determining admission of students to teacher education graduate programs, several criteria are used:

  1. The undergraduate record. The undergraduate overall minimum grade point average for admission is 3.0.  The undergraduate grade point average of students admitted to the graduate programs in teacher education is approximately 3.52 (based on 2016 admissions).
  2. Positive recommendations from EDUC 500, Exploring Teaching, EDUC 935A or the equivalent and from those able to relay information about a candidate's performance in teaching situations or related areas.
  3. Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) exam scores are required. Applicants must obtain, at a minimum, a qualifying score (as set by the state of New Hampshire at the time of testing) on all three (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) Core exams in order to be considered for admission. Current NH qualifying scores may be found at the ETS Praxis Website under the “Tests required for all licensure areas” page.
  4. Additional required application materials can be found at under programs.

The M.A.T. degree requires a minimum of 32 hours of graduate-­level credits. The exact number of credit hours will depend on the student's academic background, competencies, and professional goals, and will be determined by the adviser.

Any Education course taken for a teacher licensure requirement must be completed with a grade of B- or better.  This applies to any courses from other departments that have been designated as equivalent to an Education course.

Core Requirements
EDUC 500Exploring Teaching4
or EDUC 935A Seminar and Practicum in Teaching
EDUC 605Educational Perspectives in Critical Times4
or EDUC 959 Issues in Education
EDUC 801Human Development & Learning: Cultural Perspectives4
EDUC 807Teaching Reading through the Content Areas (807 is required for licensure in Art, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, General Science, Physcis, and Social Studies)2
EDUC 851BEducating Exceptional Learners: Secondary4
Subject Field Curriculum Methods Course(s) (for example, EDUC #791/EDUC #891 Methods of Teaching Secondary School Science)
EDUC 900AInternship and Seminar in Teaching (Fall semester) 13 or 6
EDUC 901AInternship and Seminar in Teaching (Spring semester) 23 or 6
Methods Courses Required for Secondary Licensure
Recommended methods courses be completed before the internship.
Art K-12
ARTS 791Art Education (Elementary)4
ARTS 792Art Education (Secondary)4
EDUC 891/791Methods of Teaching Secondary Science4
Career & Technical Education
EDUC 891/791Methods of Teaching Secondary Science4
EDUC 891/791Methods of Teaching Secondary Science4
THDA 786Dance Pedagogy4
Earth Science
EDUC 891/791Methods of Teaching Secondary Science4
ENGL 892
ENGL 810
Teaching Literature and Literacy
and Teaching Writing
or ENGL 726
ENGL 725
Seminar in English Teaching
and Seminar in English Teaching
English as a Second Language
ENGL 815/715Teaching English as a Second Language: Theory and Methods4
LLC 791Methods of Foreign Language Teaching4
Middle Level Science
EDUC 891/791Methods of Teaching Secondary Science4
LLC 791Methods of Foreign Language Teaching4
LLC 791Methods of Foreign Language Teaching4
Mathematics High School
MATH 709Teaching of Mathematics in Grades 6-124
Mathematics Middle School
MATH 703Teaching of Mathematics in Grades K-54
or MATH 709 Teaching of Mathematics in Grades 6-12
MUED #890Teaching Elementary School Music3
MUED 891Teaching Secondary School Music3
Physical Education
HPE 610Elementary Physical Education Pedagogy4
HPE 655Middle School and Secondary Physical Education Pedagogy4
EDUC 891/791Methods of Teaching Secondary Science4
LLC 791Methods of Foreign Language Teaching4
Social Studies
EDUC 803D/703DSocial Studies Methods for Middle and High School Teachers4
LLC 791Methods of Foreign Language Teaching4
THDA 727Methods of Teaching Theatre2-4


Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: April 15
  • Spring: Nov. 1
  • Summer: April 15
  • Special: Students who plan to begin their internship Fall semester, must have a completed Graduate School application by March 1st and have taken all prerequisite coursework.

Application fee: $65

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters: Yes (for more details see the accelerated masters information page)

New Hampshire Residents

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. 

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of recommendation: 3 required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted. At least one letter should be from a university/college level instructor.

Test Scores: Praxis Required

IMPORTANT: Please see the latest information regarding Praxis testing at   More testing centers have reopened with limited seating capacity. In addition, select tests (Praxis CORE), are being offered in a Test At Home environment. The tests are the same as the ones offered at testing centers and are monitored by an online “human proctor.”  Go to: for additional information.

Admitted students will need a background check prior to beginning their internship, and passing scores on the Praxis Core will be needed for program completion and teacher licensure.

Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) exam scores are required of all applicants to Master’s level (M.Ed. and M.A.T. ) programs leading to initial certification in Teacher Education, Special Education, and Early Childhood Education. Applicants must obtain, at a minimum, a qualifying score (as set by the state of New Hampshire at the time of testing) on all three (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) Core exams in order to be considered for admission. Current NH qualifying scores may be found at the ETS Praxis Website under the “Tests required for all licensure areas” page. To have scores sent to our office please use our recipient code which is 3922.

For general information about test scores required for admission into our programs please visit our Test Scores webpage.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions

In no more than two pages, describe the reasons you wish to pursue the degree program you have chosen, including relevant personal qualities and life experiences that have shaped your beliefs about learning, development and teaching, counseling, or administration (depending on the program to which you are applying).

Statements must be included with your submitted application.

State and Federal Background Check

A background check is a requirement before an application can be reviewed by the Education department. Here is the document and instructions Department of Education Background Check and Criminal History Release form.

Follow the provided instructions and bring your background check documentation to the Department of Education at Morrill Hall, Room 203B (see instructions for details).  Due to COVID-19 and remote learning, you can also mail your completed form and check to: UNH Education Department, Morrill Hall, 62 College Road, Durham, NH 03824. Once received, the Education Department will provide a receipt that you will upload to your application to show this portion is completed. The Education department will send the materials to the state for processing. 

Important Notes

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

International Applicants

The University of New Hampshire recommends that international applicants who are living outside of the United States, and are planning on pursuing a research based degree, submit a preapplication form before submitting a full application. Your preapplication request will be carefully reviewed and a decision usually provided within 3 weeks. If your preapplication is approved then it is recommended you then submit a full application. If you are currently living in the United States (on a H1B visa, etc.), or you plan on pursuing a professional master’s degree, then you do not need to submit a preapplication.

Prospective international students are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent examination scores. English Language Exams may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.

Explore Program Details

Admission to this program presumes a baccalaureate degree in music with at least two years of music theory and ear training, three semesters of music history, extensive experience in ensemble music making, and the ability to perform musically on at least one approved musical instrument or voice at the level of a public recital. Further, demonstration of specific piano proficiency skills is a prerequisite to enrolling in Education 900 and Music Education 890 and 891.

Some students may have satisfied many of the following credit requirements through prior coursework or experience.

More to Explore

take the next step

student posing in doorway on campus
thompson hall in summer
student at Career Event