The ESL Institute at the University of New Hampshire envisions a community of learners in which all students are well prepared for responsible engagement in our linguistically and culturally diverse local and global communities.
The central mission of the ESL Institute at the University of New Hampshire, in agreement with, and consistent with, the University of New Hampshire’s mission and institutional identity statement, is to provide high quality instruction in English as a second language (ESL) and orientation in U.S. culture to international students who are nonnative speakers of English. We aspire to serve as a resource for international education to the faculty, staff, and students of the University of New Hampshire.
Through an array of internal and external programs, the ESL Institute seeks to accomplish the following specific goals:
- To provide comprehensive English as a second language (ESL) instruction to students enrolled in the Institute;
- To provide students with the cultural knowledge and awareness needed to function satisfactorily, both academically and socially, in the United States;
- To prepare students who are studying ESL for academic purposes with the academic skills and strategies to help them be successful in their undergraduate or graduate studies;
- To provide appropriate ESL instruction for matriculated international students at UNH participating in ESL classes; and,
- To inform students enrolled in the Institute about options and opportunities for academic study at the University of New Hampshire and to encourage them to consider applying for admission.