Click for FAQ for Parents (International Affairs and Study Abroad)


What primary majors are most consistently matched with IA?

The IA dual major can be combined with any of the 100 + majors offered at UNH. Presently, the most popular majors are Political Science, Business Administration, and Spanish. Growing in numbers are Communication, Civil Engineering, and Economics majors.

I’m a political science/IA dual major. Can I count political science courses for my IA electives?

Courses used to satisfy IA dual major elective requirements may be taken in your primary major, as long as they are on the approved IA elective list and you do not double count more than 8 credits between IA and your primary major.

When can I go abroad?

See this link to the Study Abroad Eligibility requirements. In addition, IA dual majors must have completed both IA 401 AND 501 before they can go abroad.

What choices are there for the international experience requirement?

We recommend that students check the study abroad approved program list for some comprehensive choices. There are credit-bearing internship opportunities available through approved providers as well. Students interested in Work/Intern/Volunteer/Teach programs abroad should look at these options. And those interested in directed research abroad should explore the grants offered by the Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research, especially IROP and SURF Abroad.

Can I go to English speaking countries?

The International Affairs international experience ordinarily takes place in a country consistent with the student’s language study but may also be conducted in countries where English is an official language or where the language spoken is not one offered at UNH.

I’ve taken 4 years of Spanish. What level do I start my language study at UNH?

It is recommended that you take the on-line language placement test for French or Spanish. If you wish to pursue a different language, please contact the relevant department.

Can I take my financial aid with me when I go abroad?

UNH currently allows federal, state and institutional aid (except work study) to transfer for all UNH Managed, UNH Exchange or UNH Approved Programs abroad.  Students should call the Financial Aid office (tel. 862-3600) to learn how this applies to their individual aid package. Check the UNH Financial Aid website for more information.

If students currently receive aid under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and are interested in studying abroad, contact UNH Veterans Affairs (128EA Stoke Hall or unh.veterans@unh.edu).

I received a ‘C-’ in my language course last semester. Is this a problem?

All IA course work must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better. The student will need to repeat the course if s/he receives a C-.

My GPA went below 2.5. How will this affect my IA status?

We ask that all IA majors maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA. Students will not be allowed to take IA 501 or 701 if their GPA is below 2.5. They will be asked to meet the minimum standard before continuation in the program.

When will I take IA 701?

IA 701 is the senior capstone course, and it is now offered fall and spring each year. The course involves significant research and a final presentation, typically at the Undergraduate Research Conference. Most students take 701 in their final year after completing their international research experience.

What is the Undergraduate Research Conference (URC)?

The Undergraduate Research Conference is a celebration of academic excellence at the University of New Hampshire. Over 1,000 UNH undergraduate students, from all academic disciplines, present their research each year at the URC. The presentations showcase the results of scholarly, engaged, and creative research in over 20 professional and artistic venues.

Who is my IA advisor?

All IA advisors share all the IA students (both majors and minors), which means that you may meet with a different advisor than you did the last time you came in. Please be assured that all IA advisors have access to notes from previous advising appointments to provide continuity.

How do you know you've completed the minor?

Make sure you meet once a year with an IA advisor, starting as early as your sophomore year. To complete the minor, make an IA appointment to have the Certification of Completion of a Minor form signed, meet with your major advisor for a signature, then take the form to your Dean’s office.

Why should I do the minor and not the dual major?

The minor was developed for those students who, due to the demands of their primary majors, are unable to complete the more rigorous requirements of the IA Dual Major. Work with an IA advisor to see which option is the best fit for you.