Student Learning Outcomes for Classics Major: Latin and Latin Teaching Option (B.A.)
- Ability to read major works of Latin authors in prose and poetry, and to translate Latin into idiomatic English.
- Ability to read aloud both prose and poetry in correct meter in Latin using an accepted standard of pronunciation.
- Knowledge of the morphology, phonology, and syntax of Latin; and of the historical development of Latin and the place of Latin in the etymology of English words.
- Ability to write short compositions in Latin.
- Knowledge, as demonstrated in essays or papers, of:
a) major aspects of Greek and Roman history, cultural institutions and their connections to the western tradition and other world cultures
b) the history and content of Green and Roman literature, in translation or in the original
c) classical mythology