Declaring a Major

Admission to the PSYC Major as a New First-Year or Transfer Student

Students entering the University as first-year or transfer students may declare Psychology as part of the UNH admission process. First year students will be admitted as "provisional" Psychology majors. Provisional majors are advised by the University Advising and Career Center until they complete both PSYC 401 and PSYC 402 with a C- or better.  Transfer students who are admitted directly to the Psychology major are advised in the psychology department.

Admission to the PSYC Major as a Continuing Student

Continuing students interested in declaring Psychology as a major must have taken PSYC 401 and 402 and have earned a C or better and have an overall GPA of 2.0.  Students can declare the major at any time with the exception of the months of November and April.  Provisional majors must have completed both PSYC 401 and PSYC 402 with a C- or better before declaring. To declare, follow the change of program process outlined below.

Declaring the Neuroscience major COLA

Students interested in declaring Neuroscience (COLA) must fill out an application (located in the Psychology Department Office in McConnell 468) and submit it to Professor Jill McGaughy.  In order to be considered for the NSB major, students must have a 3.2 overall GPA or higher.  NSB has rolling admissions.

Change of Program Process

Use this process in the following situations: declaring or changing a major within a college, declaring a major in or changing a major to a different college, adding a dual major, adding a second major:

  1. Sign in to
  2. Search for Webcat and select
  3. Select Student Records
  4. Select Change Major/Option and follow prompts

Use this process in the following situations: declaring a dual degree, declaring or changing to a self-designed major, declaring a third major:

  1. Obtain a paper yellow change of program form from the Registrar's Office or download one here.
  2. Meet with your advisor, and obtain signature and your student academic file.
  3. Go to your current Dean’s Office, obtain signature.
  4. Bring your signed form and file to our office where we will instruct you on next steps.