Program Requirements - PSYCHOLOGY
The minimum requirements for honors work in Psychology are:
1. An overall grade point average of 3.2 with a minimum grade point average in Psychology of 3.4 when applying to departmental honors.
For students entering UNH Fall 2017 and later, an overall GPA of a 3.5 and a minimum GPA in PSYC of a 3.5
2. Passing Psychology 401, Psychology 402, and Psychology 502 with a grade of B or better.
3. Submitting an application to the Department Coordinator of the Psychology Department.
To be awarded "Honors in Psychology" each student must complete 20 credit hours of honors courses (including 8 credits of Senior Honors Thesis) within the Department. In addition, each student must attain an overall GPA of 3.2 and a Psychology GPA of 3.4 (for students entering UNH Fall 2017 or later, must maintain an overall and PSYC GPA of a 3.5). The student must earn at least a B on the Senior Honors Thesis, and a B- in each honors seminar.
In order to fulfill these requirements:
1. Students must designate three (of the four) 700 level PSYC courses as honors (PSYC 793 and 795 cannot be designated as honors).
- A graduate seminar may be taken with the permission of the instructor, the department, and the Graduate School (seniors only).
2. Each student must complete Psychology 797, the Senior Honors Tutorial, and Psychology 799, Senior Honors Thesis. The Senior Honors Thesis will culminate in a public presentation called The Haslerud Undergraduate Research Conference.
You do not have to be enrolled in the University Honors Program (a 32-credit program) to undertake the departmental honors program (a 20-credit program). All University Honors Program participants must, however, complete the 20 credit departmental honors program as part of their overall University Honors requirements. You must complete an application for the Psychology departmental honors program even if you are already enrolled in the University Honors Program.
Students enrolled in the honors in major program must still complete all psychology major requirements.
Program Requirements - Neuroscience and Behavior
Students are required to maintain an overall grade-point average of 3.4 in major coursework. Students must successfully complete three 600- or 700-level courses (12 credits) for honors credit in the “Core” courses and “Electives” designated for the Neuroscience and Behavior major. Honors students will have separate assignments including projects, written critiques of current literature or term paper(s).
Students must successfully complete a year-long honors Senior Thesis. Typically this would include taking NSB 797 in the Fall (2-4 credits) and then NSB 799H during the spring semester of the senior year (4-8 credits total).
No later than the beginning of the first semester, senior year, each student participating in Senior Thesis will meet with his/her faculty advisor to select a research project. The student will present a written proposal for evaluation. During the year, the student will carry out the experimental portion of his/her research in the advisor's laboratory. At the end of the second semester senior year, the student will submit a written thesis to the advisor and present their research at the University of New Hampshire Undergraduate Research Conference.