Teacher Licensing

The state of New Hampshire Department of Education Bureau of Credentialing issues teacher licenses in New Hampshire. The University of New Hampshire provides recommendations for certification to the state upon completion of an educator preparation program. At that time, a teacher candidate must file an application with the NH Department of Education. Applications are available online through the New Hampshire Educator Information System at

In addition to the recommendation for licensure provided by UNH at the completion of a student’s educator preparation program, candidates for certification must provide Praxis core and Praxis II scores (as required by content area), submit an official transcript showing award of degree, complete a background check, and pay required fees.

Teacher candidates recommended by the University are eligible for a BEC-Beginner Educator Certificate (license).

Areas of Teacher Licensure at UNH

The University of New Hampshire has state approved programs and is authorized to prepare students for teacher licensing in the following areas:

  • Art Education
  • Career and Technical Education (Agriculture)
  • Chemistry
  • Classical Languages (Latin) Education
  • Dance Education
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Early Childhood Special Education
  • Earth Space Science
  • Elementary Education
  • English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
  • English Language Arts
  • General Special Education
  • Life Sciences (formerly Biology Education)
  • Mathematics Education (5-8)* and (7-12)*
  • Middle Level Science (formerly General Science Education)
  • Modern Languages (French) Education
  • Modern Languages (German) Education
  • Modern Languages (Russian) Education
  • Modern Languages (Spanish) Education
  • Music Education*
  • P-3/Family Studies (four-year program only)
  • Physical Education*
  • Physical Education/Health
  • Physics
  • Program for Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities
  • Program for Specific Learning Disabilities
  • Social Studies Education
  • Theatre

*A four-year undergraduate program, as well as a five-year undergraduate/graduate program is available in these specialized subject areas.

Praxis Testing Requirements for licensure in New Hampshire can be found at

Interstate Certification Compact

The State of New Hampshire participates in the Interstate Contract Concerning Qualification of Education Personnel, governed by the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). The State of New Hampshire and has entered into contracts with the following:

Alabama, Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, Arkansas, British Columbia, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DODEA, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming (ICC Rev 11/11)

Please note that each member of the Interstate Certification Compact may impose certification requirements which must be met within a reasonable time period. Teacher candidates should contact the appropriate State Department of Education. Further information concerning the Interstate Contract may be obtained at