Financial Aid

General Information Pertaining to Education Graduate Degree Programs

Federal Financial Aid

Federal money for graduate students is comprised of loans (Guaranteed Student Loans, Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans) and the college work-study program (CWS). Aid amounts depend on assessment of financial need through completion of the Free Application for federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A priority deadline to apply for federal aid is March 1 for the following academic year. Application materials and the FAFSA are available at the UNH Financial Aid Office in Stoke Hall (603-862-3600). You may contact the Graduate Financial Aid Coordinator at that number for more information on these programs.

Tuition Scholarships

Full -Time Tuition Scholarships
Eight to ten full-time Graduate Tuition Scholarships are awarded through the Department of Education each year to admitted graduate students who attend on a full-time basis (nine or more credits per semester). The scholarship covers full tuition costs for the academic year. Selection is based on a student’s academic record, graduate record examination (GRE) scores, and the undergraduate school. There is no application process, and all full-time Department of Education graduate students are automatically considered. Decisions are made in May for the following academic year.

Additional information on miscellaneous scholarships may be available in the reference section of the Dimond Library and in the Financial Aid Office.

Learn More

Graduate Assistantships

Most graduate assistantships entail a year-long commitment to assist professors and staff of various academic units on campus with teaching, research, and/or administrative tasks. The Department of Education has a number of graduate assistantships assigned to various programs within the Department, and each assistantship has its own requirements. Graduate assistantships usually include a partial or full tuition waiver and a stipend. Students are offered graduate assistantships via letters of admission to their programs, or offers are made directly. Students interested in a graduate assistantship should contact the Director of Graduate Programs in Educational Studies, Dr. Andrew Coppens at

Other Sources of Assistance Pertaining to Specific Education Graduate Degree Programs

Paid Internships (for teacher candidates)

Financial assistance may be available through paid internships, which represent a minority of the intern placement sites that are available. While stipends are not equal to full salaries, they often are enough to defray costs of tuition and fees. Students wishing to be considered for paid sites should indicate their preference when they submit their internship application. The UNH Department of Education has made it a priority to develop additional sources of aid for teacher education students.

Noyce Scholarship (for teacher candidates, math/science)
The National Science Foundation Noyce Scholarship Program provides annual scholarships of up to $20,000 for undergraduates and $12,000 for graduate students interested in pursuing a teaching career in math or science education.  For more information see

Assistance for Special Education - M.Ed. Students
Graduate students who are seeking certification in special education should contact the Financial Aid office for specific information related to teachers in critical shortage areas. The federal government has identified teachers in special education as a group who qualify for significant loan forgiveness. You will need to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for some loans.

Ph.D. Funding Resources 

Professional development, small research project funds and travel grants may be available. For inquiries, contact