How you can help Seacoast Reads Spread Literacy!
- Spread the word!
- Volunteer to tutor
- Donate books
- Make a tax deductible donation to help supply books, materials and tutor transportation by going to UNH Foundation Website (select "Other" and type "Seacoast Reads" on the fund description line.)
Associate Professor of Education
Phone: (603) 862-2380
Fax: (603) 862-2174
202AB Morrill Hall
62 College Road
Durham, NH 03824-2601
Office: 209 Morrill Hall
What is Seacoast Reads?
Seacoast Reads is a local implementation of the America Reads Challenge.
Our mission is:
- to help children increase proficiency in reading and writing,
- to develop self-confidence and
- to encourage a love of reading.
Seacoast Reads places UNH undergraduate volunteers into local schools, libraries and after-school programs to help elementary and middle school students improve their reading and writing skills through one-on-one support.
Volunteers travel with a group to their site twice per week for one semester to spend time with their "reading buddy" reading books, playing literacy games, and writing.
Seacoast Reads Studio
All tutors must attend a 90 minute training session at the beginning of each semester before they can work with their reading buddy. Times and dates of the trainings will be advertised throughout the application process.
- Barrington Elementary School
- Woodman Park Elementary
- Seymour Osman Community Center
- Rochester Area
- School Street Elementary School
If you would like to apply, have questions or would like to discuss the Seacoast Reads program further, visit us in our office, email, or call. We look forward to speaking with you.
Office Hours for Fall 2023:
Monday: 12:30 - 2 PM
Tuesday: 10 - 11 AM and 12 - 2 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Friday: 10 AM - 3 PM
Alpha Delta Phi Society
College of Health and Human Services
Future Teachers of America
Margaritas in Dover
UNH Graduate School
Uno's in Dover