Occasionally the English department gets contacted directly about internships that are available to UNH students, particularly majors in our department. If we receive any listings directly from employers we will post them here. Please check this page regularly for updates.
If you are interested in pursuing an internship you can register for ENGL 620, English Major Internship. Signing up for ENGL 620 will allow you to receive academic credit for your internship. Follow these steps to get going:
- If you don't find an internship that you want to apply to on this page contact the Career Services office for current UNH-wide postings. UNH uses an online service, Wildcat Careers, to post internship opportunities. You can also visit UNH Career and Professional Success in Hood House to speak with an adviser about internship opportunities best suited to your interests and skill set. Check your UNH email and our department Facebook Page (UNH English Majors) regularly too – if the main office receives word from a local employer that they are hiring interns we send out message to all of our majors with application information.
- Once you've identified an internship that you want to apply for, ask an English department faculty member if he/she will be your faculty sponsor. Your sponsor will work with you to develop an academic component to your internship. This typically includes reading and writing assignments, including a final project, and regular meetings.
- Stop by the English department main office or download an ENGL 620 Internship Proposal Form. Meet with your faculty sponsor and discuss the components of your internship, then draft a written proposal that describes what you'll be doing and how it relates to your English Major studies. ENGL 620 is a credit/fail course worth 1-4 credits and does NOT count as one of the English major requirements. Registration for the course follows normal Registrar’s Office deadlines.
Current Internship Opportunities:
|Job Title:||Portsmouth Housing Authority – Communications and Public Relations Intern|
|Reports to:||Executive Director|
|Status||Non-exempt. 15 hours/week|
|Deadline to Apply:||Rolling applications accepted|
Job Summary: The Communications and Public Relations Intern’s mission is to help develop and maintain a program to communicate with the over 1,000 residents of the Portsmouth Housing Authority, as well is individual and institutional friends of the Portsmouth Housing Authority. The Communications Intern helps make sure that the Agency’s communication efforts support its reputation for excellence and innovation.
The Communications intern will work on a variety of projects as assigned by Executive Director. The ideal intern will have the ability to work independently and as part of a team, depending on the nature and duration of any specific project.
Essential Duties and Resposibilities
- Develop a Resident Communications Plan
- Design and develop external communicantions tools to build strong relationships with neighbors and partner organizaions.
- Manage Agency social media campaign; including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
- Draft and distribute press releases and alerts.
- Track and archive media coverage relevant to PHA and its affiliates.
- Create infographics to disseminate inormation to management and the Board of Commissioners.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Support of the Mission Statement
The mission of the Portsmouth Housing Authority is to be the leader in making quality afordable housing available for low and moderate-income members of the community and to accomplish this mission by a fiscall responsible, creative organization committed to excellence.
Undergraduate and Graduate students majoring in Communications, Journalism, Graphic Design, or other related fields.
- Previous marketing, journalism, web site management, and multimedia experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Design Suite or similar graphic design program – with particular focus on page layout and vector imaging.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Graphic design experience is a plus
- Ability to work independently and simultaneously on a number of tasks.
Education and/or Experience
Language Skills: Spanish Speaking preferred