Imagine your future. Look around UNH’s largest college and you’ll see amazing potential everywhere. Start with incredible choices in exceptional, experiential programs, some of the world’s best teachers and scholars and innovative, unparalleled research. Discover your passions at one of the nation’s top public universities in a caring community of small class sizes, responsive advisors and an approachable, accomplished faculty. Explore COLA’s many programs of study and interdisciplinary studies in the humanities, social sciences, fine and performing arts and education. If you're not sure what you want to major in, you've come to the right place — our faculty and advisors will guide you. Find what you love, then choose a major, or two. Or enrich your major with minors. Go beyond the classroom with internships and our more than 500 plus study abroad programs. Spark a lifelong love for learning. Start now.
Undeclared is a great way to start your academic journey. The College of Liberal Arts is the perfect place to explore your options. Our faculty and staff will help you discover the path that’s right for you.
The College of Liberal Arts is your launchpad. Here, you’ll have the options and freedom to find your path while mastering your understanding of language and people — unique liberal arts skills at the heart of nearly every work and life endeavor.
Regardless of the major, you’ll develop the skills that fuel workplace success, such as heightened critical thinking, complex problem solving and communication. Browse our Alumni Spotlights to see the range of careers our graduates enjoy.
Cognates are three-course sequences that develop career-oriented skills. Whether you are undeclared and exploring program options or have already decided on a course of study, cognates help build your resume and develop in-demand skill sets for the professional world.
Experiential Learning in COLA
Opportunities for experiential learning abound in the College of Liberal Arts. Take advantage of experiences such as…
- Internships! A majority of COLA students participate in at least one internship while at UNH.
- COLA runs over a dozen faculty-led study abroad programs, from Cuba to Europe to Russia. Hundreds of other programs are available.
- COLA’s Global Racial and Social Inequality Lab funds student research and internship projects.
- UNH’s Hamel Center for Undergraduate Research funds student research at home and abroad.
- Research assistants work closely with faculty on their projects and in their labs.
- The Civil Discourse Lab trains students to organize community events around difficult topics in order to hone communication and citizenship skills.
- Archeological digs take place on the UNH campus, on Great Bay in Durham and as far away as Belize and Turkey.
- Music and theatre students perform in both professional venues and schools around the state, and as far away as China and Switzerland.
- A faculty-mentored Mock Trial team competes regionally in staged criminal trials where students portray lawyers and witnesses and practice legal skills.
- A faculty-mentored Model United Nations team travels to NYC annually, joining students from around the world.
- Faculty-led trips to Boston and New York City provide opportunities to visit historical sites, museums and other locations relevant to coursework.